Saturday, March 19, 2011

250th Annual New York City Saint Patrick's Day Parade

We arrived by cab at Columbus Circle and made our way toward 5th Avenue.  I wanted to get up to around 66th and 5th to avoid the crowds and get better pictures.  We walked through throngs of humanity - young and old.  The vibe was electric.


In order to get past the uptown reviewing stand we cut through the Central Park Zoo area.  We have never been and it was a little magical jewel tucked away in the Park.  (That's me back there in the shadows.)







These guys were great! The Handsome Jazz Ensemble was playing a free gig in the park.






The first band we saw was all Galician Ladies playing Bagpipes wearing all black and very imposing.  I was very impressed as they went by playing "God Bless America".



When we made it past the crowds I got myself in a good spot for pictures.  This was a great band from Wisconsin.


I am very proud to have been raised in the O'Hara household!  I studied History with a bend toward Irish History in college.  I have been to this parade many times and have even walked in the parade once while in college.





A shout out to a great Fife and Drum Band from Westchester County, NY.  I believe it was Carmel, NY.  I lived in Westchester County until 16 years ago when I settled on Long Island.



Above are the Derry folks with their controversial banner. 

Lovely young ladies! So festive!





Flags honoring the New York Fire Department who lost their lives so bravely on September 11, 2001.  So somber and impressive.   The flags went on and on.




The United States Navy carrying the flags of the States of the USA! This was so awesome. 







United States Air Force - I love a man in uniform :).


The Irish American Society



The Suffolk County Police Pipers.  I love the Pipes and I love Suffolk County!


A great band from Connetquot High School - Long Island, NY!




And, my Alma Mater - Fordham University, Bronx, NY !   A proud moment of this 250th annual NYC parade was knowing that the Grand Marshall - Mary Higgins Clarke - was a fellow Fordham Alumni. 

I was yelling my head off!  It brings me back to my youth when I walked with them.  If you want to study Irish History, Fordham University is a great place for it. 


These flags were representing the Port Authority Officers who fell in the line of duty on September 11, 2001.  This was heart wrenching.


Andrew and I were glad to have made a great decision to spend a few hours soaking up the grandeur and excellence of New York City.

I will be posting tomorrow showing my favorite faces of the day, and a separate post about the rest of the day out and about on St. Patrick's Day 2011.  Check for it tomorrow!  May the Luck and Love of the Irish be with You!

If you see this and want me to email a picture - send request to freedom075@aol.com - I took 275 pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment