I am a bit indulgent. I extended my birthday for another week by celebrating with my In-Laws at my favorite Asian Restaurant, Golden Chopsticks (382 Route 25 A, Rocky Point, NY 11778). They are a Chinese, Japanese and Thai Cuisine Restaurant. I have been enjoying this place since it was called Diamond Wok. I have never had a bad meal in the 16 years that I have been a patron. Andrew, my husband, has been going for at least 20 years. We had our first date here in 1995. Ah, Memories.
We started with a few appetizers.
Wonton with Hot Seasame Sauce, my Brother-in-Law's favorite. This is a soft wonton with a spicy peanut sauce. My only complaint was that I think we should have ordered more. I can't get enough of this unique flavor.
Boneless Spare Ribs. Everyones favorite. These are not too sweet and that is why I love them. They are very tasty and have a great mouthfeel. Usually, I am not a huge fan of boneless ribs, but when they are done right (like at Golden) they are wonderful.
Amazing Chicken and Shrimp - in a chefs special peanut sauce. We would have liked it a bit hotter - which next time we will request. Also, we could have asked for a side of hot pepper paste. It was cooked perfectly and was a nice looking dish - served with the carrot flower.
Crispy Beef and Shrimp Duo. A seasonal special that is worth a try. Andrew ordered this and I was a bit jealous. This was like a "Chicken-Fried Steak and Shrimp" in a peppery, spicy, savory brown sauce. Spot on and cooked perfectly. I am getting this next time!
Chicken in Garlic Sauce. A regular menu item that is consistently tasty. I was in the mood for a medium spicy sauce with cruncy shredded veggies and sliced chicken. Again, cooked perfectly and I had to take some home with me for breakfast tomorrow.
Since we have been happy diners at Golden for years, I thought we should make a list of our favorites. Keep in mind that we are casual people and love food that is consistent, well made and memorable.
1. Tom Yum (chicken) - a spicy Thai soup seasoned with lemongrass, lime juice, chili (hot!), mushrooms and special Thai chili sauce. I am almost addicted to this soup.
2. Miso - a mild Japanese soy bean soup with tofu, scallions and seaweed. This is true comfort food.
3. Hot and Sour Soup - Andrews favorite. Nicely spicy with tofu, mushrooms, seaweed and lemongrass. Warming, on a cold day like today.
1. Boiled dumplings - tasty pork Chinese dumplings. Nice dipping sauce!
2. Gyoza - pan fried Japanese dumplings in a nice vinegary dipping sauce.
3. Wonton with hot sesame sauce - see above.
4. Bu Nuong Sate - BBQ Thai beef on skewers with spicy peanut sauce.
5. Japanese Seaweed Salad - excellent! Take a chance on this!
1. (Revolution Diet R5) - Prawns with snow peas, broccoli and bean sprouts in a spicy garlic sauce. Usually I add $2 chicken or beef. Did you know you could add meat in $ increments to any dish?
2. Eggplant Delight - Chicken, shrimp, eggplant and scallion in brown sauce.
3. Steamy Hot Chicken Cutlets - Thai chicken cutlets, onions, cashew nuts, dried hot pepper and fish sauce. Very spicy and nice!
4. House Filet Mignon - with fresh spinach and mushrooms in a special brown sauce. Wonderful!
1. Special - Spicy Tuna Lobster Roll - extravagant with spicy tuna, tempura lobster and lobster salad.
2. Dancing Eel - Andrews favorite - Avacado, cucumber, masago with eel outside.
3. Spicy Tuna
4. Boston Maki - Reversed shrimp, lettuce and cucumber.
5. Crazy Tuna - Crunchy spicy tuna with tuna outside.
We ask for these rolls to be made with brown rice - and this is never a problem here.
For a casual and special meal, I highly recommend this hidden gem.